Low Level Laser Therapy
Balmain Osteopaths are proud to be the first osteopaths in Australia to introduce BioFlex laser therapy treatments into their clinic. Laser therapy facilitates natural healing by enhancing the body’s immune system response and is known alternatively as cold laser, low level laser therapy, soft laser or photobiomodulation.
The technology involves the use of either a laser diode or light-emitting diodes that emit a specific spectrum of light which is absorbed by the cells of the body.
Why Is It Known As Soft Laser Or Cold Laser?
Low intensity Laser Therapy does not heat, cut or damage tissue, unlike high intensity lasers. The therapy is completely safe with no significant adverse side effects. The specific spectrums of light used in Low Intensity Laser Therapy have been scientifically proven to induce changes in cell physiology.
Once the laser light is absorbed by the cells, a cascade of physiological reactions are initiated leading to a reduction of inflammation, stimulation of cellular repair mechanisms, and healing from trauma and injury.
The result of these processes are the reduction or elimination of symptoms including pain, restored function and improved quality of life. In this way Low intensity Laser Therapy is rehabilitative and in some cases curative.
– Collagen, DNA, connective tissue cells (fibroblasts)
– Increased strength of muscles, tendons and ligaments
ATP (adenosine triphosphate)
– The fuel of the cell required in facilitating cell metabolism
– Naturally produced analgesic to reduce the sensation of pain
– Immune response
– Lymphatic and venous drainage (reduction of swelling/oedema)
– Angiogenesis – formation of new capillaries and arterioles resulting in improved circulation and tissue oxygenation
▪ Reduces or eliminates pain.
▪ Reduces the need for pharmaceuticals
▪ Restores range of motion and physical function
▪ Non-invasive / Non-toxic
▪ No known significant adverse effects
▪ No drug interactions
▪ Often makes surgical interventions unnecessary
▪ Provides a treatment alternative for patients that have not responded to conventional therapies.
Low Intensity Laser Treatments are clinically effective for:
– Ligament/tendon/muscle tears
– Knee dysfunction (meniscal/ligament tears)
Repetitive Strain Injuries
– Rotator Cuff Injuries
– Tennis Elbow/Epicondylitis
– Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
– Tendonitis (supraspinataus/Achilles, etc)
– Plantar Fasciitis
– Rheumatoid Arthritis
– Degenerative Osteoarthritis
– Spinal Stenosis
– Disc herniation
– Muscle and joint pain/inflammation
– Temporo-mandibular Joint Dysfunction
– Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy/ Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
Treatments are typically thirty minutes to one hour in duration depending on the condition being treated. All treatments are conducted on site at our Balmain clinic.
Are there any side effects?
Unlike pharmaceuticals and other therapeutic options, laser therapy is non-toxic and non-invasive with no reported significant adverse effects.
How many treatments are required?
The number of treatments will depend on how long-standing or chronic the condition is and the extent of the pathology involved. Based on the genetic make-up of the cells, an individual’s response to LILT will vary to some degree. A recent clinical review, including 1,000 consecutively treated patients, revealed the average number of treatments to be 9.4.
More On Our BioFlex Laser Therapy System
The Bioflex Laser Therapy system has been developed by Dr Fred Kahn and is the exact same system which is featured in the New York Times bestseller “The Brain’s Way of Healing” by Dr Norman Doidge.
Two of our Osteopaths, Kristine Lunny and Ellen Scott, have been trained by Dr Kahn’s clinic. They are the first practitioners to offer treatment with the Bioflex Laser system in Sydney.
For more information visit Dr Kahn’s blog at http://fredkahnmd.com
Dr Norman Doidge’s website at http://www.normandoidge.com
For more information visit www.bioflexlaser.com